Tuesday, March 2, 2010

FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn: "I am not Dismissive of Some of the Net-Neutrality Concerns"

In an interview to John Eggerton from Broadcasting & Cable, FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn was asked about her support for Net-Neutrality (here).

JE: You have talked about boosting diversity through the broadband plan. Some minority groups have complained that network neutrality rules could discourage investment and widen the digital divide. You don't agree?

MC: I am a supporter of the principles of network neutrality. I believe this open architecture has the potential to be the great equalizer in all communities. It can bridge all types of gaps, including the media-ownership gap. It is just a powerful tool that I am excited about. I am not dismissive, however, of some of the concerns, and am engaging in conversations with some of the groups that may or may not be as enthusiastic as I am about embracing and codifying network neutrality principles. So, I am not closed-minded. I am listening and speaking to those groups. And if there are any protections and enhancements that we need to consider, I am definitely open to that. As you noted, I am very excited about the openness and potential of this platform, and will do all in my power to encourage such a course.
 
This is somehow different from Ms. Clyburn previous statement on Net-Neutrality (Sep 21st, 2009 - here): 
 
I fully support Chairman Genachowski’s intention to take affirmative measures to preserve the openness of the Internet. The Chairman’s statement today is an important first step in setting forth clear rules of the road that will ensure the Internet’s continued vibrancy. As a former small business owner, I am keenly aware of how an open and transparent Internet can serve as an equalizing force for new entrants to the marketplace. I look forward to working with the Chairman and my fellow Commissioners to move expeditiously on this issue of great importance to the country.
 
Mignon Clyburn was nominated for a seat on the Federal Communications Commission by President Barack Obama on June 25, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment